Individuals who have an active case in Jackson City Court may be referred to the City of Jackson Recovery Court by any court representative, agency, legal representative, family member, and/or by written individual request.
Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Candidate must voluntarily agree to enter the Recovery Court program
- Candidate must be a resident of Jackson-Madison County or be willing to reside in Jackson-Madison County
- Candidate must be age eighteen 18 or older
- Candidate must not be classified as a “violent offender”
- Must be potential agreement among sentencing Judge, District Attorney General’s office, and the Defense Counsel for the candidate that Jackson Recovery Court would be an appropriate option for the candidate
- Candidate must plead guilty to their pending charge(s) in Jackson City Court
- Candidate must self-report a history of drug and/or alcohol abuse
- Candidate must have all legal matters in other courts resolved
- Candidate cannot have an acute mental disorder where symptom severity could inhibit successful completion of the program
- If all eligibility requirements are met, the Jackson Recovery Court staff will meet with the candidate to complete an clinical assessment
- Once all necessary information is obtained, the Jackson Recovery Court staff will review all aspects of the candidate’s case and determine his/her appropriateness for entrance into the program.
- The Jackson Recovery Court staff will verify that the candidate’s proposed living arrangements are drug and alcohol free by conducting a home visit and will drug screen other residents prior to his/her entrance into the program.
- If all requirements are met and candidate is approved to enter the program, the Recovery Court staff will provide the information to the Judge and other legal entities. Judge Anderson make the final decision to approve a candidate and they will be entered into the program at their next court date.
- The screening process is open-ended, typically lasting two (2) to three (3) weeks.
- If the candidate is not interested, not eligible, or denied entrance by the Jackson Recovery Court Treatment Team; he/she will return to Jackson City Court for a due process hearing and/or the imposition of sentencing on his/her charges.